Today as I set up a local version of a Sitefinity I hit on an issue, it took a while to fix so wanted to share my solution.
The frontend is working just fine but there are issues with the backend. The login page works ok but when I click on any of the links in the menu I get the following error.
IIS 8.5 Detailed Error - 404.0 - Not Found
My setup is Windows 8.1 running IIS 8.5.
To fix this issue I added a new handler mapping for Sitefinity services:
- Open Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Choose the correct site from the tree on the left
- Go to Handler Mappings in the settings window:
- Add a new "Managed Handler" using the values below.
- Request Path: *.svc
- Type: System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceHttpHandlerFactory, System.ServiceModel.Activation, Version=126.96.36.199, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
- Click Request Restrictions
- Uncheck "Invoke handler only if request is mapped to:"
- On Verbs tab, select All verbs.
- On Access tab, select Script.
Head back to your Sitefinity backend and hey presto it'll be working!